Just in from Norton Sound 450. Trail crews had already made it to Koyuk this morning. They had to return to Shaktoolik to get ready for this new change to the race. They were delayed a bit, so race restart will happen at 2:30pm.
Go Team Kaiser!
With marginal conditions and a looming Iditarod, everyone agrees that heading back to Unalakleet is the best decision at this time. What started as a 450 miles race is now a 40 mile dash to the finish. Strategy is out the window. This is a speed contest. The real strategy is how much teams will push for the finish. The trail is not in bad shape, but it is cold.
Today’s Mushing Weather from Shaktoolik to Unalakleet:
.TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
HIGHS 1 BELOW TO 9 ABOVE. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS IN THE EVENING...THEN
SNOW LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. LOWS
8 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
The Unalakleet community is feverishly making lemonade out of lemons as they prep for a finish this evening and a Banquet tomorrow morning. Such a small community doesn’t have the same air service as Nome or Bethel, and all flights Sunday and Monday are overbooked!
Middy Johnson and his crew are doing a good job of keeping everyone posted and up to date on what is happening. Thanks Middy!
Elapsed times yesterday between Unalakleet and Shaktoolik were under or close to 6 hours.
Here are a few stats from last nights run from Unalakleet to Shaktoolik- First is the Start Order for the Restart. Second is the Elapsed Time sorted. Team Kaiser has the fastest time.
Mushers Restart Order and Details
Mushers sorted by Elapsed Time
As always, Laureli Kineen gets a great interview:
Player 1[mejsaudio src=”http://kaiserracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/unkprestart128.mp3″ width=”400″ height=”35″]
From the trail-
All mushers will receive $3000 for entering the race and the remaining balance of the Purse will be reconfigured for Finish Positions.
That’s awful nice of those folks who understand the commitment to entering a race. Thanks Norton Sound Dog Club!!
From Norton Sound 150-
We have decided to put the race on Hold until Noon today. All the mushers are safe in Shaktoolik. High winds and Cold temps have become a factor. At the time of the decision all teams have completed their 18 hours mandatory Layovers prior to White Mountain. We will give another update at 11am or sooner.
I just spoke with Arlene Sookiayak from Shaktoolik. Her updated weather:
Wind North 20, Temp -16, Clear Skies, Drifting Snow. Winds are kicking up the snow so its almost a ground blizzard. She can’t see the hill from her location. We will keep you posted.
Expect teams to start moving any time. I just called the Shaktoolik City Office for Weather:
Shaktoolik – Wind North 10-15mph, Visibility Good, Sky Cloudy, Temperature -10
Thanks City of Shaktoolik!
Go Team Kaiser!
Word from the trail is that it is a windy one in Shaktoolik. I’ve been trying to call anyone in Shaktoolik, but no luck yet. If Trackers are correct, teams may be hold out for daylight. This extra break will give Pete and the Team a small advantage by putting their rest aligned with everyone else. Pretty similar to last year when Pete was leading and everyone caught up, in this case everyone has caught up with Dee Dee. The extra break though will make it basically a restart as all of the differentials will have been made up. When this happens it becomes a horse race at the Start, but will filter out as it did during the Official Start in Unalakleet.
I am still trying to get current weather for Shaktoolik. If you are in Shak, give me a call – 545-1999 (Cell)
Go Team Kaiser.